Rufus is an easy to use program that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives. It’s as simple as plugging in a USB flash drive and running the executable program.
Bootable USB flash drives are used to install (or reinstall) operating systems like Windows. A must have tool for computer technicians.
- First you need to download rufus here. The program is a single running executable file , which means you can use it without having it installed.
- Have a USB flash drive ready with at least 4 gb capacity. The USB drive should not contain important files as rufus will delete its contents.
- Have an ISO file of your operating system ready. In this example I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
- Plug the USB flash drive into your computer.
- Next, open Rufus by double clicking it. Click Run if there is a security warning dialog.
- Rufus should be able to detect your USB flash drive. Select it in the Device dropdown.
- After that click the drive image to select the window ISO file. In most situations you do not need to change any of the settings as Rufus will select the appropriate values for you.
- Click Start. A warning dialog will appear telling you that all the USB drive contents will be destroyed.
- Click OK and wait for the progress bar to finish.
- All done!